Friday, September 25, 2009

The Back-Story

I'm about to embark on a new adventure and although it is exciting it also feels completely normal. So I'll begin this blog with the back-story on how it all started.
Just over a year now, I finished my Associates Degree at Flathead Valley Community College and was throwing around ideas for what next. I let God in on my ideas and told Him about maybe moving to Portland and continuing my education, becoming a flight attendant, and the other 50 random theories about my life. In just asking Him what He thought about it all, clearly He told me that I could do any of those things, He would go with me, and life would be enjoyable, OR.... I could wait for the opportunity that had yet to present itself. I decided that the mystery opportunity sounded more exciting. So I waited. I continued to be a Young Life leader, and work at the coffee shop. I met some amazing friends from Fernie, had enough free time to be in a play at the college, got a second job at the sushi bar, and had a fabulous winter.
In January Bob Johnson came to visit my home church and one evening after he finished speaking at the conference we were sitting at my parent’s dining room table and he said to me, "tell me about yourself." In response I told him just what I told you. His wife Kimberly was listening to my "wait for the opportunity speech," and asked if I had ever heard of Heidi Baker's school of missions. I had not heard of the school and just thought of her comment as another suggestion to add to the book of other people's opinions on “what I should do with my life.”
The next morning however, I woke up and knew that this was it. I started telling people that day that I was going to go to Africa. Each time after that spilled out of my mouth my head said, "You idiot why did you just say that, this is just another idea." But here I am 9 months later, blood stream flowing with vaccinations, a checklist 3 miles long on the borderline of completion, 5 boxes of material items to my name, and 9 days until my plane leaves Montana soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment