Thursday, October 29, 2009

Some everyday info

My family and friends, I am so grateful to have people like you in my life. Even though I am fully enjoying my African experiences here I still cannot help but be thinking and praying for all of you. When my head hits the pillow you are the ones that visit me in my dreams. When I am on my face in prayer, you are the ones that are on my heart. It is hard for me to not have as much communication with all of you as I would like, but just because I have no idea of what is going on with you, doesn't mean that you are any less on my mind.
So I have already told you the morning ritual of super sweet tea and a bread roll, but I have not told you about the other two meals of the day. Lunch is rice and beans everyday and dinner varies. Rice and some topping. My goal is just to keep my perspective in the right place and then I hope to not get sick of the routine.
Slowly but surely I'm getting out to you some of the basics of everyday life here. You know my every morning, you know my every meal, you know about the few and very speedy showers. Doing laundry is another great adventure. It is all hand wash in buckets and communal line drying. After only a few items the wash bucket is full of dead ants and the water looks as if you used it to mopped a floor for the first time in 3 months. It is important to do laundry before class however, in order for the sun to finish drying the clothes before they get unwillingly donated after sunset. This means laundry must start at 6:30 or so. I really don't mind doing the laundry though. It is kinda meditative.

A few other daily things besides yoga, laundry, prayer, reading, going to the beach, and all the other things that sometimes get me to thinking I'm on vacation, one of my favorite places to go is the baby house. I love hanging out with the toddlers because there is no hindrance with when it comes to the language. We just play!
For the kids here the idea of a TV is an outrageous thought, but they don't really even have toys. The boys are really good at making these toy cars out of old flip flops and sticks. They make balls out of old garbage bags and twine. The kids are perfectly content just sitting around. They don't have to be entertained at every moment. The culture is all based around community and relationship. Dancing, or singing or girls doing hair, or boys playing soccer, these are the things that make up fun.
This week we have been doing a 24/7 prayer week which has been fun. We have a gazebo here on base that has someone praying in it at all times. During the afternoon each day we have a spontaneous worship session. Singing with the Holy Spirit is so much fun. I was on the team that played on Tuesday.
I know this weeks blog isn't specifically what happened this week in my life but I wanted to give you a few more tid-bits of the everyday here.

No comments:

Post a Comment